The Countdown

Friday, May 30, 2008

black and white

some things are black and white.
like zebras.
i saw 3 today, at the side of the road as we drove by.
we drove a fair ways today, so i was hoping i might see some today.
so cool.

some things are not black and white.
like the conflict here in kenya.
we visited a church in the rift valley that was used as an idp (internally displaced people) camp.
we heard stories from the ones involved in making that work, and later had a good talk with our group about what the post election violence was all about and how it affected them.
i won't begin to get into it all here, but it was a good day of learning and understanding.

one thing that struck me was that in the town we were in, there are 40 denominations, and the pastors of them all meet together.
when the first wave of people came needing somewhere to stay, they came to the aim (africa inland mission) church because it has been used for that purpose twice already in different conflicts.
the pastor there called the other pastors, they met together, and planned what they could do for the people.
how is that for unity and being the way the body of Christ is supposed to be?
that impressed me.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Sounds like you're having a great time. I miss you!!

Dr. Joy said...

Carolyn,
We, as a staff & as a church, have been following your comings & goings with great interest & regularly praying for you. No doubt there is much more that you are experiencing than what you are able to communicate on your blog & much that you will be processing for quite some time!
May God's peace & a strong sense of his presence be with you in your final week there!
Henry Friesen

Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn,
I am praying for you. I am so thankful you have been given this awesome opportunity! Can't wait to hear more about it! Safe travels home.
deb

Treena said...

Carolyn my friend! I miss you dearly. I trust that your time there is full of teaching and love for one another... I pray that you even understand a bit more into God's magnificent earth and His people. I hope that you're sending some Regina/Saskatchewan/Westhill love all around. Reading your blogs makes my heart love these people and I don't even know them... I can't imagine what you are experiencing. Well, things have wrapped up here, and we are starting our first potluck/fire here on June 12, the day you arrive back!!!! Just think.. you left when it was cold, and coming back when it's beautiful!!! Just kidding.. the weather actually sucks big time!! We've had one nice day here in like 3 weeks. I guess it's better than snow. Well, just wanted to let you know that all is well..
Miss you...
Treena XOXO