The Countdown

Monday, June 16, 2008

brave coward

A story from our last full day on the ranch: The owners of the ranch have a pet cheetah. We drove out to see her, and about half of us took the offer to go right in her pen. She had just finished eating (actually the keeper took away her meat so she'd 'play' with us!) She came right up to me and I got to pet her - so amazing! She mostly avoided the people (I think she was a little ticked at losing her supper) but some of the others got to pet her through the fence. So that's where the bravery comes in, although I don't think it took much bravery - I really wanted to play with her! The coward part comes in when we got back to the camp and I screamed and jumped out of the washroom because there was a gecko in our shower. Yeah. I showered in the morning instead. Ick.

Today was the first day back into routine - I meant to go into work, but Madeline was sick this morning and stayed home sleeping on the couch. So I got stuff done here and did some baking and some work from here - I guess part of routine is dealing with whatever comes up each day. The hardest thing I had to do today was plan the week's menu. The last 5 weeks have been full of Kenyan food that I didn't really enjoy and restaurant food - I thought I'd be happy to get back to making my own meals...

Now my mind is trying to figure out how to tell my stories and show my pictures. I don't have time to do a big elaborate scrapbook, but I should at least get some pictures printed off so I have a few to show when people ask. If you're on facebook, I do have one album up, of the Canadian Adventures of the giraffe I brought home. I'll make an album of Kenyan pictures there, too. I think I'll be able to put a link on here to that.

No comments: